X-men: Kingbreaker #3 came out a couple weeks ago now, so this post is a little late but oh well. If you see this post and want to go get the issue, I’ll bet you could still go get it. So I’m not too late.
Unfortunately, with this issue we had to bring in another artist to help finish it on time. I ended up only doing 13 of the 22 pages, but, to make it a smooth read, the pages are cleverly divided between me and the other artist by scenes. I think it works pretty well and I’m happy with the work I was able to get done, but I really wish I could have done the whole issue myself. The scenes that I didn’t get to draw would have been a blast. When I first got the script I didn’t know that I wasn’t going to get to do the whole issue and I ended up sketching one of those scenes that I wouldn’t end up getting to draw. I thought I would share that sketch with you so here you go.
I probably would have ended up doing something really close to this sketch. I think I would have shifted some things around, changed some proportions, and added more ships on the left side, but really it would have been a lot like this.
From the very start this series has been really tight for time. I can remember seeing the solicitations for issue 1 before I had even started. Things started really coming down to wire in issue 2. I never rushed or "hacked" a page but with that issue another inker and colorist had to be brought in because I just hadn’t left enough time for Jaime, the inker, and Nathan, the colorist, to do their thing. Then there were the holidays. Holidays and conventions always hit hard on the productivity. So, yeah, I just couldn’t keep up. But in a way, I’d rather do 13 pages I like then do 22 that are all crap.
Just for fun, here is another black and white page.